Re: New builds of ViEmu for VS, Word&Outlook and SQL available

I have uploaded new builds of each of the three ViEmu's with some small fixes and improvements. In all cases, it's necessary to uninstall previous versions before installing the new ones:

Issues common to ViEmu/SQL and ViEmu/VS:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- v$ wasn't represented well when using VS selection for visual mode
- ESC now removes the status message in normal mode
- InternalUndoGroup() improved to obtain better performance (only slowed down in some installations)
- Pasting a multiline block in a read-only file will now only warn once

ViEmu/SQL 2.0.59 (http://www.viemu.com/ViEmuSQL-2.0.59.msi):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- One installer path had a double backslash, it could cause problems in some installations
- EULA updated to reflect the per-user license type (you could stay with the previous license, but this is just less restrictive)
- :run command to execute the current SQL query

ViEmu/VS 2.0.59 (http://www.viemu.com/ViEmuVS-2.0.59.msi):
- Resharper compatibility extended to Resharper 2.5
- EULA updated to reflect the per-user license type (you could stay with the previous license, but this is just less restrictive)

ViEmu/Word+Outlook 1.0.3 (http://www.viemu.com/ViEmuWO-1.0.3.msi): [Ed: overrided by 1.0.7 - http://forums.ngedit.com/viewtopic.php?id=178]
- Same installer path double-backslash problem as in ViEmu/SQL fixed (runtime is the same as in 1.0.2)

The priorities now for the next few days/weeks are the following:

(1) Prepare a new version of ViEmu/Word+Outlook fixing the 10 or so issues I have been informed about by early users.
      Even with a lot of testing, a 1.0 is always a 1.0 smile
(2) Prepare ViEmu/VS and ViEmu/SQL 2.1 with the outstanding problems fixed, as reported by users

After this, I'd like to get back to working in my upcoming text editor, which will in some way be a "standalone ViEmu", and hopefully a very nice text editor too.

Let me know about any other problem that comes up.

Best regards,

Jon

Tried to install the latest version and I get:

A network error occurred while attempting to read from
the file C:\Downloads\ViEmu-2.0.46.msi

Needless to say, C:\Downloads is not on a network.

Cliff.

Hi Cliff,

Have you uninstalled the previous version before installing this one? That could be causing the problem, as maintenance builds are not able to automatically upgrade previous versions. This will hopefully be solved the day I fully automate the building process.

(I am guessing you are refereing to the ViEmu/VS version)

Please let me know if uninstalling fixes it.

Thanks and best regards,

Jon

Yes that fixed it, thanks.

May be worth doing one of the following:

a) Posting that you need to uninstall first whenever you post a link to a newer version
b) Telling you in the installer that you need to uninstall first
c) Fixing the installer so it does it for you

Regards,
Cliff.

Hi Cliff,

I'm glad that fixed it.

So far, I'm opting for option (a) and posting the notice everytime I post about a new build. It's less clear than usual in the notice above, because there are 3 links and it's only in the heading. For sure, the right fix is (c), but I simply haven't had the time to do it - working in ViEmu is consuming all my resources now.

Regards,

Jon

Just a thought, but when you find some down time you might consider setting up a 'news' or 'release' forum so these updates don't get lost in the general chatter.  Even cooler would be to make the latest release a sticky at the top so those of us who are terminally lazy can find updates even faster.

thanks,
  David

David, you are 100% right, I plan to do that as soon as possible, and including automatic updates in ViEmu itself would be even cooler (possibly with a choice of "last stable" and "bleeding edge").

Unfortunately, right now (and it seems always) I'm swamped with work: basically fixing all the issues in the various ViEmus. But, in any case, I'll try to improve this things as soon as I can put aside some time to fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions though!