Re: Problem in VS2005 with Refactor Pro/CodeRush installed

In VS2005 (when in a C# source file) if I position the cursor over a ')' or a ';' (without the quotes, of course) and do an ":w[Enter]" then the editor behaves as though I hit the enter key in edit mode - meaning I get a new line.  For example:

public void someFunction()
{
  doSomething();
}

If the cursor is position at either the semicolon at the end of the line, or at any of the closing parentheses, and I want to save the file (via :w) here's what I end of with after the file is saved:

public void someFunction()
{
  doSomething()
  ;
}

Any ideas on how to resolve this (assuming it's probably something wrong with my configuration/mappings?  I am using ViEmu 2.0.53 and DO have the Refactor! Pro plug-in from this site for compatibility installed.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Brandon

Hello Brandon,

I will investigate today and come back to you. I am packaging a new build of ViEmu for Word and I'm getting started with ViEmu/VS again, so I think I'll be able to address it pretty quicly.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Best regards,

Jon

Hi Brandon,

I installed the CodeRush/Refactor Pro trial (thankfully, they have one available until Feb 28, which they don’t usually do). I went into VS2005, tried to repro the problem… and it didn’t happen  It seems to work fine on my system. But one other similar problem that I have encountered is that ESC seems not to work (althought Ctrl-[, which is another way to get ESC, does]. I guess ESC works in your installation, because else you would have let me know about it.

In my case, I was able to fix this by removing all CodeRush assignments to the Esc key, in DevExpress->Options->IDE->Shortcuts. I had to go through all assigned shortcuts, and delete those assigned to the Esc key.

It’s very likely that Enter will work properly in your system after you remove all its CodeRush-internal assignments. In case this does not work, can you please provide me the following info, so I try to learn more about the problem?

(1)    What are the bindings for the commands Edit.SelectionCancel and Edit.BreakLine in your system? You can get them from Tools->Options->Environment->Keyboard, by typing the command name at the edit box and opening the “Shortcuts for selected command” drop down.
(2)    In what order did you install ViEmu and Refactor Pro?

Just for extra info, my environment was VS2005, a small sample C# app, ViEmu 2.0.60 (but I don’t think the changes since 2.0.53 should affect this), CodeRush 2.1.3. I have also installed the compatibility DLL to verify that this is not the cause of the problem.

I hope the proposed solution works or that we can fix this quickly.

Thanks and best regards,

Jon

Fortunately, I figured out the problem today.  It turns out the Feature in CodeRush called "Smart Enter" was doing this.  Once I turned that off, the problem went away.  My CodeRush/RefactorPro version is slightly older (2.0.4), which may have something to do with it as well.

Thanks for the quick reply, though!

Brandon

Glad you got it to work, let me know if there is any other problem.

Best regards,

Jon