Re: Cursor blink in ViEmu 2.5.13 for VS 2010

I asked about this way back in July, and in principle, ViEmu was supposed to honour the system cursor blink setting.  Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case on my machine.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (6.1.7600) and VS 2010 (10.0.30319.1 RTM).  I've configured the OS to set the cursor blink rate to 0.  When ViEmu is disabled, the standard Visual Studio cursor doesn't blink.  But when ViEmu is enabled, the block cursor ViEmu renders does.

Is this just a bug, or is there a setting somewhere I can tweak?

Hi,

You are right, this is a bug. We made the ViEmu cursor honour the system cursor blink setting, but it's not working correctly when the blink rate is set to 0. It should work in any other case, though, can you confirm this?
Anyway, thanks for the feedback, this will get fixed in the next ViEmu release.

Yup, confirmed, it *does* work with a non-zero blink rate setting (though I had to restart VS to see the new value take effect... not that that's terribly surprising).

Edit:  Err... that parenthetical is only partly true.  If you change the blink rate while VS is open, the new setting is honoured in newly opened editor panes, or in panes that had never been made visible before the setting was changed (presumably the cursor blink timer code doesn't kick in until the pane first becomes visible, at which point the timer interval is immutable).

Last edited by fancypantalons (2010-12-29 15:03:16)

Thanks for confirming it, and you're right, the setting change is taken into account if you close and re-open a view (not only ViEmu's cursor, but default VS cursor too, I believe)

Just wanted to post a quick thank you!  I just installed 2.5.14.  No more blinking cursor == very happy customer.  Cheers!

Great to hear that fancypants, you're welcome & thanks to you for the kind message!

Would it be possible to have this value also controlled by the gcr value, e.g. in vim you can do:

set gcr=a:blinkwait0,a:block-cursor

to set the cursor to be a block-cursor that doesn't blink in any mode.

I don't want to set my system blink rate to 0 because I like to have a blinking cursor when it's just a single thin line (as it is in most other applications).  However with a block cursor, I'd much prefer it if it didn't blink.