Re: Escape in VS 2005

Im currently evaluating ViEmu at work. And loving the full experience in VS.NET 2003, however I cannot get ESC to work properly in VS.NET 2005. This is my last issue with this before purchasing it...

- Shift-ESC is working like a charm.
- In Visual Studio 2003 it also works like a charm.
- I have tried deactivating add-ins (Ankh-svn and dx-core)
- I have removed all keyboards shortcuts in tools -> environment -> keyboard (still attached was Edit.SelectionCancel and Window.ActivateDocumentWindow) where esc was used...

Im evaluating version 2.0.37.

Am I not seing the obvious solution? I have searched the support forums for a solution, but no topic I have read have fixed this issue for me?

Dan,

Thanks for the kind note. I am currently out of the office in business travel until next week, so I won't be able to investigate it in detail until then.

It looks weird that Esc doesn't work after completely un-binding it from any command. I will probably need to send you an instrumented build of ViEmu in order to log all keyboard/VS-interaction activity (it may be an interaction with a 3rd party add-in, even if you've turned them off).

What language are you working with? Behavior is pretty different with the different languages.

Best regards,

Jon

Im using it with VB.NET, and your post made me realize that I had installed Refactor! for VB 2005 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/tools/refactor/)

I didnt think of this before seing this post, because it is not visible in the Add-In manager... When I deinstalled it - it all worked fine and dandy... Now its time for the purchase smile

Dan,

Thanks for letting me know. I will look int Refactor compatibility next week.

Thanks,

Jon

Compatibility with refactor is no concern for me. I just tried it at some time - and had forgotten I had it installed...

Dan,

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to address it though, in any case, other users of ViEmu might be interested in it. Hopefully they have a trial version available for me to repro it.

Best regards,

Jon

As far as I recall it is free...

Great, thanks!

Now I know what the problem was.  I was using disabling-enabling ViEmu to get around this problem.

Good. I still have to research this properly, I'll post about it as soon as I get around to doing so.

Regards,

Jon

Hi, Have just installed the latest ViEmu for evaluation and can confirm that this is still an issue.
I've removed Refactor for VB.net (written by Developer Express Inc) and Esc key now functions normally.

Regards,

Richard.

Rich,

Thank you. Indeed, this issue has to be solved by changing the settings of Reactor. It happens in all DevExpress products -- at least they allow you to configure their keybindings to pass keys through so that other add-ins can get them. Of course, an alternative is to just uninstall their product (but of course that is not a solution if you want to use both).

This thread details how to do this configuration:

http://www.viemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=269

Just to clarify, I don't plan to do anything else about this as it can be easily solved by configuring Refactor / CodeRush. Also, I can't really think of anyway this could be solved automatically from ViEmu's side of things.

Regards,

-- Jon