Topic: Where does _viemurc go for VS2010?

I'm a long-time ViEmu user with VS 2008.

Today I started a new job where they use 2010 and I'm trying to get ViEmu going in my new dev environment.

I have some critical bindings because I use a Dvorak keyboard, but I can't seem to get my _viemurc picked up anywhere. It seems that with the new plugin architecture in VS2010, there is no installation folder in Program Files [(x86)].

The documentation says nothing about this, and it doesn't seem to work in c:\, c:\windows, c:\windows\system32 etc.

How can I bring in my _viemurc file?

Thanks.

Last edited by jay (2011-02-28 20:45:26)

Re: Where does _viemurc go for VS2010?

Hi, Jay

You can put your _viemurc file in the path indicated by the HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH environment variables or the path indicated by the HOME environment variable, and ViEmu should read it from there.

Regards,

-- Isaac

Isaac_Symnum wrote:

You can put your _viemurc file in the path indicated by the HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH environment variables or the path indicated by the HOME environment variable, and ViEmu should read it from there.

I hate to drag up an old post like this, but I've just gone through a reinstall and ViEmu won't for the life of it read _viemurc.

My suspicion is that my HOMEDRIVE/HOMESHARE is on a network drive. Which may create a known issue in Windows 7 for application that run in admin mode: those drives aren't available. According to a MS KB article it's related to UAC. I seem to dimly remember that VS2010 runs as Administrator, or am I confusing it with 2008?

Is there another location ViEmu will read from? One that will assuredly be a local drive, at least?

If this is NOT an issue related to the fact that I have my _viemurc on a network mapped HOMESHARE, I'm at a total loss! sad

Thanks
Mike

I can only blame the fact that it was 2am on why I didn't test this in ex mode instead of just copy&pasting from a sample file, but...

It seems "highlight" is not supported in ViEmu for VS2010? As trying to enter commands manually give Unknown Command.

This is the 2.5.14 VSIX BTW. The docs also don't mention it.

Indeed, :highlight is not supported in ViEmu. Unfortunately, we can only support a subset of vi/vim commands, and those are listed explicitly in the docs. There are many more, not supported by ViEmu, that are not mentioned. Vi has quite a few options, but vim is genuinely huge, and we can't emulate all of it. We add more and more emulation on each version, but full vim emulation is just impossible.

Hopefully, you can find some functionality in VS that will cover your needs.

And, by the way, the way to locate your home path are the environment variables HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH, but I understand that was not really the issue, and that part is solved.

Regards,

-- Jon