Topic: Clashing keyboard binding (aka where has the edit facility gone?)

Hi,

I have both ViEmu and Resharper installed. I'd like to use ViEmu keybindings in most cases, but resharper keybndings in others (e.g. I'd like Ctrl+B to be 'Go To Type' in Resharper.)

It used to be possible to edit this in the keyboard preferences for ViEmu. (Indeed, the doc says it's still possible: http://www.viemu.com/viemu_doc.html#integration) However, I don't see the ViEmu section in Tools > Options as per the screenshots in the docs, or a link to the keybindings configuration from ViEmu > Settings.

Is it possible to override the keybindings? (Using Tools > Options > Keyboard seems to have no effect - even resetting the keybinding to the Resharper action doesn't seem to have an effect.) This is using v3.0.6.

Thanks -

Re: Clashing keyboard binding (aka where has the edit facility gone?)

I just reloaded my dev box and ran into the remapping bit myself.  I was thinking maybe it was a VS2012 issue, but maybe not then.  I ended up having to do it through the built-in VS remap:

Tools->Options
   Environment->Keyboard

It's not as easy, but you can get the remapping done there.

Thanks - this is what I had tried doing. I suspect that the issue with Viemu causing VS2012 to crash on exit (which I only noticed later) was preventing the setting to be written, which in turn was causing me to think it wasn't working when it probably was.

Last edited by zcrar70 (2012-09-05 14:40:23)

Sorry about the issue, we are working on a new build that fixes the crash of VS 2012 on exit. It will probably be out by the end of the week.
About the keybinding edit facility, I'm afraid there is a small confusion there. The documentation page that you link to (which is the one that shows if you click on "see full documentation" in ViEmu web) is for ViEmu Classic, that is, for VS2003 to VS2008. If you go to the documentation from the ViEmu menu in Visual Studio, you'll see the documentation for ViEmu for VS2010-2012.
We decided for this newer version to take the road of making all keybindings available to users for change from the VS's own keybinding management facility. It gives more power to the user, but as you point, it's not so easy to change. The "keyboard..." dialog for ViEmu has never existed in ViEmu for VS2010. To make a new keybinding management dialog for ViEmu is something we've had in mind for some time, and hopefully we'll get to do it at some point, since we feel that setting and resetting ViEmu keybindings is not as straightforward as it could be.

Thanks for getting back. I'm happy enough using the VS 2012 "keyboard..." dialogue to make keyboard binding changes; so long as it works (which it does.)

Thanks also for the explanation re. the documentation.