Re: Command/status line obscures last line in ViEmuW/O

You're probably aware that the command/status line obscures the last line in ViEmuW/O -- in fact, I thought I saw someone else mention it, but a quick search of the forums didn't turn it up. Is there a workaround? Supporting vim's "scrolloff" setting would mitigate the problem somewhat...

Yes, I'm aware of it, and I plan to add something to help it. It can be a bit difficult, because the Word visual mode is not the same as in a text editor (pages can be shown side-to-side, etc...). But hopefully, just scrolling a bit if the case is detected should fix it in most cases.

Are you familiar with vim's "scrolloff" setting? I have ":set scrolloff=2" in my .vimrc and I really like it -- I always have a couple extra lines of context above or below where I'm editing. That'd be handy in ViEmu, and would indirectly address this issue in most cases.

Yes, I know about the setting - the main problem is that Word's visual mode is (1) not based on lines, as it can be shown "paged", and (2) the model is incredibly non-accessible. The Word object model provides very, very little information about the layout (and it's only accessible for the part that is on-screen!). As a third important point, queries to the object model are incredibly slow. So slow that ViEmu/WO has to cache almost anything it asks about and search the cache before asking, or it becomes unusable.

In the end, all of this makes a proper implementation of scrolloff very hard. I do plan to experiment a bit and try to at least solve the status-line problem, but a proper implementation of scrolloff in Word/Outlook is out of scope in the short term.

Ah, the joy of Word.

Thanks. The scrolloff functionality isn't very important to me in Word/Outlook. Especially once the status line problem is solved.

Good. I'll let you know as soon as I have more information and hopefully a new build.

I've added auto-scrolling when the cursor is detected below the status bar in ViEmu/WO 1.0.16, not scrollof, but it helps:

http://www.viemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=182