Re: U, Ctrl+P and .

(I'm trying to persuade my boss to cough up for a copy of ViEmu. If not, I'll pay for my own copy.)

Two more issues that I've noticed.

1. U (undo whole line) doesn't work.

2. IHere's a case where you don't emulate Vim faithfully.
Type "cw", enter "foo", then type Ctrl+P, which completes the string to "foobar", and hit Esc. If I then move to another word and type ".", I expect the word to change to "foobar", but it changes to "foo". Vim would give me "foobar".

/George

Hi George,

It's a common problem with ViEmu that people can't get their bosses to pay for it. I guess the comfort vi/vim are not easy to understand by an outsider, and explaining it ain't either smile

The next major release of ViEmu will support proper repeating of input which originally came from Intellisense. It requires quite a few importtant architectural changes, as Intellisense is not directly accessible to VS addins.

U is not implemented yet as it does not fit very well with VS's undo model, but I guess it won't be too tough either. I'll let you know as soon as I can put something together.

Thanks for the feedback!

If you're looking at supporting the Intellisense functionality that he described, you might want to have a look at Visual Assist X.

They seem to be able to get the information out of Intellisense before it's inserted into the buffer.  They actually implement their own super intellisense which works a lot better but I wouldn't think of asking you to support some other third party's version of it but maybe they can give you an idea of how to intercept the intellsense information.

I too have often used intellisense to complete something, then hit '.' to repeat that and it'll do like he described below instead of what I was hoping for.

Info on Visual Assist X:

Home page
Visual Assist Intellisense Dialog

I think Visual Assist implements their own Intellisense, as you mention. I'm not even sure whether the "built-in-intellisense"-like completion boxes they provide are the built-in ones or their own (it seems not, from the info page you linked to).

In any case, the way I'm planning to implement Intellisense support for the '.' command should work correctly both with standard intellisense and with theirs, as it is based in directly monitoring changes to the text buffer. Hopefully it will.

Thanks for the pointer!