Re: Better vim emulation for emacs

Just today I ran into "vimpulse": modifications to emacs' "viper" mode to include several vim-exclusive functions (such as visual mode). Viper is a raw vi emulator, with no support for any of vim's features - you invoke it from emacs' command line with C-x viper-mode<return>. I've used it several times when tinkering with lisp under emacs using slime. It seems vimpulse improves it:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/vimpulse.el

I'm no emacs guru so I'm not totally sure how you install it - exercise left for the reader. If I go back to doing some emacs I may try it (or may as well try to really learn emacs keykbindings, which would be a nice culture change).

I am the maintainer of vimpulse.  Here are the installation instructions from the top of the file, in case they will help you:

;; Copy vimpulse.el to somewhere in your load-path (e.g. your
;; site-lisp directory), then add these three Lisp statements to the
;; .emacs file in your home directory:
;;
;(setq viper-mode t)
;(require 'viper)
;(require 'vimpulse)
;;
;; Leave out the initial semicolons.  You should not change the order
;; of the statements.  The first two lines enable viper; the third
;; enables vimpulse.
;;
;; If you will be using C-r (the redo key) and you use GNU Emacs, also
;; visit http://www.wonderworks.com/download/redo.el and save and
;; install redo.el.  XEmacs and Aquamacs come with redo.el included.
;;
;; If you want block visual mode (i.e. rectangle selection),
;; remove the leading semicolons from the lines under the
;; "Block Visual Mode keys" section in this file.  Also download and
;; install http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/download/rect-mark.el
;; in your load-path and add the Lisp expression (require 'rect-mark)
;; to your .emacs file.

I am curious:  -How did you come across vimpulse?

- Did you notice those instructions?   Were there any words or terms that were unclear?

- How could I make vimpulse easier to install?

- Do you have any other feedback on vimpulse, other than that it needs an instruction manual smile?

Regards,
Jason

Hey Jason,

Congrats on the good job. I haven't tried it out actually - I read about it in a post at programming.reddit.com (sorry, can't remember which one). Someone wrote about something and mentioned that he was using vimpulse, including a link. I had a look at it and posted about it here, for the possible benefit of ViEmu users.

It seems easy enough to install, now that you posted the instructions. I hadn't read through it.  I would add 'Read installation instructions below" as the 2nd line in the file, as a non-emacs guru I thought maybe "everybody knows" how to install a .el file and it wasn't explained.

Sorry I don't have any more feedback, but I'll give it a try if I ever go back to emacs for more lisp tinkering (I'm not doing any right now, too busy!).

Good luck and best regards,

Jon

This is my first time hearing about vimpulse.  I'm not a big emacs fan, but occassionaly I tinker around with Common Lisp and Slime is the way to go there.  Great stuff.

I don't do much emacs either, but it's good to know there's something even better than viper-mode.