Re: POLL: Are you a vier or a vimmer? (or something weirder!)

vi. On SCO Unix. Until the mid-90s. Have occasionally dabbled with gvim on Windows but it never sticks. Now, though...

Seriously, I am in love with this product.

I used vi ages ago for debugging massive log files and never really got into it.  Came back with gvim and loved it.  Though vi is still better on massive files.

Now use vim on Debian, vi/vim on cygwin vi on Open BSD and gvim on Windows and ViEmu on MS (SQL, VS, Word/outlook).

I would say I definitely prefer the vim key strokes/behaviour and I love your interface in VS/SQL, and look forward to seeing a few more features implemented.

gvim on windows, macvim on mac, vim on linux

random: thanks for the support for ViEmu!

Ronald: new features come at a slow but sustained pace, and ViEmu will definitely become better and better over the months and years to come. Thanks for the kind comment. too.

vim on Linux.
gvim/viemu on Windows.

Vim, and, when forced onto a nassssty windows machine, or when just plain too lazy under Linux to open a console and type "vim" for a separated window, GVim  (:

gvim (both windows and linux)

occasionally a console vim, if I must.

My .vimrc has grown to around 10k these days wink

I started with vi (the one true vi), then elvis, then vim, and have stuck with vim ever since.  I really wanted vim in an IDE, found it, and was very disappointed.  It was jvi + netbeans. 

Then I found ViEmu.  Huzzah!  smile

zenakuten, I'm sorry that ViEmu can't handle those 10k lines of vimrc -- hopefully in the future!

At least, ViEmu + VS is an excellent IDE with the most productive editing scheme ever!

Thanks for the kind comment.

- Jon

I'm a nvi user, mostly due to the undo behaviour.  I've gotten used to being able to undo an undo with a second "u" (with continuations using "."), and vim's behaviour gets me into trouble all the time.

Erh, hopefully nvi-undo-behavior will become available in ViEmu via external scripting in some time!

I've been a vimmer ever since we had to learn Vim and Emacs in University. After learning some of the basics, I was in love and use Vim for any text editing I can. Sadly, I haven't had the patience to master the bash vi-mode (set -o vi) and haven't ventured as far as Vimperator for Firefox.

I try to avoid vi whenever possible. I'll fill my home drive with my own installation of vim rather than go without (or try to maintain an install in /tmp).

Nowadays, I use Gvim/vim and ViEmu (VS+Office) on Windows (work) and Gvim/vim on Linux (home). The downside is that people have such a hard time working on anything at my desk. (The turnoff shortcut for Viemu is great, but I forget. And I need to remember to setup a shortcut for EasyVim.)

Pydave, thanks for the info! I don't care for vimperator either (although I do miss vim in Firefox textareas), and I never got around to learning bash's vi mode. I don't use that much Unix to be worth learning that, I think.

Way to remember Ctrl-Alt-Shift-V: 'V' is from 'ViEmu', and all the modifier keys are required in order to avoid clashes with any other shortcut, since this one should be seldom used!

ViM'er, absolutely!  As to convincing a Vi'er to switch, visual mode is not nearly the most compelling--that would be split windows, or diffmode, or named paste buffers, or macro recording, or...

I never even used visual mode until I started using ViEmu, but now I'm really getting comfortable with it.  I started using it to select code for SQL mgmt studio to execute, and now it's worming its way into my brain!

Hey, AFAIK, named registers and macro recording are both original-vi features!

Visual mode is indeed very useful... VIsual mode for a VIsual editor.

vi, going back to BSD 4.2 on a VAX 11/750 in the early 80s.  Later, on AT&T System VR2 on Motorola 68020 hardware, then some SCO on 80286, Digital UNIX on Alpha, AIX, HP-UX and currently a lot on Solaris 10 (E25K, 6900, 2900).

vim is mostly used on Linux and my desktop PC running Windows.

Johnk3, that's what I'd call vintage! If you use ViEmu, I hope you find it a worthy descendant of those vi incarnations. Thanks!

Hi Jon,

I use all versions of vi just depending on the system/computer I am using....gvim on windows, vim/vi on linux, and all of your viemu products on windows.

A vimmer of almost 15 years, mostly on Debian.

As I now have to work primarily on Windows, I still haven't found a usable environment. GVim lacks a TTY (to run :!commands), the Vista terminal doesn't have proper scrolling, resizing or mouse selection, MSYS's rxvt has weird control sequence bugs...

I am now evaluating ViEmu and finding it a huge improvement on my generally miserable Visual Studio experience. It still feels quite hackish at times, but it'll probably improve as the 30 days go.

Is there a way to post new topics? I constantly get this error page from the server:

Fatal error: Invalid API key. Please obtain one from http://wordpress.com/api-keys/ in /home/jngng/public_html/viemu/forums/include/Akismet.class.php on line 107

EDIT: looks like it's been fixed

Last edited by sam (2010-02-18 10:16:55)

Sam, apologies for the problems while posting. Fighting spam in online forums is often problematic. Let me know if I can help out with anything with regards to ViEmu! - Jon

Windows gvim, with occasional uses of the cygwin vim.

Cygwin vim! I've installed it a couple of times, but could never manage to integrate cygwin in my workflow. Much less cygwin vim...

learned vi ages and ages ago at college.

started using vim approx 10 years ago at work.

now Linux ships vim as vi, so there's really no choice.  i'd use vim anyway, of course.

usually gvim on Linux or Windows, but sometimes vim on Linux when using Putty or some such rather than X.

gvim on win, vi on *nix

Radski, pure vi? Wow!