Re: viemu/sql and vista

Folks,

I can't get viemu/sql to work on Vista RTM.  I had it working with sql server 2005 on Server 2003, but after I install it on Vista and attempt to open the management studio, I get the following error:

http://demo.pds.askme.com/viemu-sql-error.png

Please suggest what I can do to solve this -- I miss it greatly!

Thanks,
--randy

I should mention that viEmu for Visual Studio 2005 works great!

thanks,
--randy

Randy, thank you for your kind comment. Indeed, neither ViEmu/VS nor ViEmu/SQL are compatible with Vista. I finally was able to install Vista a few days ago (had to upgrade my computer), and I know what it's due to. I plan to release a Vista-compatible version really soon.

Since I've already had a few requests, I'll try to prepare a maintenance build that works with it today or tomorrow.

I'll get back in touch with you later today.

Thanks and best regards,

Jon

I've gotten ViEmu to work successfully on VS on several machines.  The trick I do is after installing, start up VS the first time as an administrator, shut-down and then restart as  the normal user.

jared, thanks a lot for the tip! I didn't realize that would work. Actually, I won't be able to release a proper fix until December the 10th or so, so the workaround is the only chance by now.

This might work with ViEmu/SQL, but it probably won't, as the integration hooks in the registry are completely different. Running the installer itself as an administrator may fix that part.

I apologize for the problems, I've jumped a bit late on to the Vista bandwagon.

Regards,

Jon

Found the problem -- and it might not be related to vista.  Note that I have the user account control (fake admin) feature turned off in Vista (incompatible with Infragistics install).

I ran sqlwb.exe inside windbg.exe, and saw that it was picking up a copy of msvcr71.dll from my Trillian install (?!).  I noticed that ViEmuSQL includes a copy of msvcr71.dll, so I wondered if it was necessary to have the right one.

I made a copy of ViEmuSQL's msvcr71.dll called xsvcr71.dll (very important to keep filename the same length!), and modified viemusql.dll to reference this instead (vim edits binary files).

Now it works :-)

--randy

OMG. I really need to look into this in detail. It really looks ugly. I'll let you know as soon as I can gather more info.

Best regards and thanks for the tip,

Jon

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem mentioned by wilbur, but I have actually prepared new builds of ViEmu/VS and of ViEmu/SQL that work fine with Vista & UAC. Details here:

http://forums.ngedit.com/viewtopic.php?id=141

Thanks for your patience and for the workarounds provided by everyone!